This week started a bit rough, last Monday after almost 14 years of loyal companionship “MAC” told me it was time to go. This was one of the toughest decisions in my life. He has been my companion since he was 6 weeks old, we bonded on that drive home the very 1st day and from that point forward he was my best friend, companion and confidant and unlike Duke that wants to spill the secret family recipe, “MAC” just listened and loved me no questions asked, no judgments.
This will be the 1st time in almost 20 years that there will be no bassets hounds in my house. Although it feels liberating at times knowing that I don’t have to rush home to make sure they have water or food, I find myself missing that. Knowing that no matter how bad of a day I had at work, “MAC” would be waiting, and happy to see me arrive. He would be eagerly waiting for me to sit down so he can lay down next to me, and to make sure I did not go anywhere, lightly touching my legs with his body.
This will be the 1st time that I don’t have to haul a 50lb bag of food into the house, yet I can’t get myself to donate the almost full bag that sits in my kitchen.
These are the lessons I learned from my dog Macintosh:
- When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
- Never pass up the opportunity to go for a walk.
- When it’s in your best interest, practice obedience.
- Take naps and stretch before rising.
- Avoid biting, when a simple growl will do.
- On warm days, stop to lay on your back on the sunbeam.
- When you’re happy, wag your entire body.
- No matter how often you’re scolded, don’t buy into the guilt thing… run right back and make friends.
- Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.
- Never pretend to be something you’re not.
- If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
- On cold nights, curl up in front of a crackling fire.
- Thrive on affection and let people touch you – enjoy back rubs and pats on your neck.
- When you leave your yard, make it an adventure.
- Be loyal and love unconditionally.
- Bond with your pack.
- Never lose sight of the people you love.
- When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.
I miss you buddy!